Door Inspection Tool (DIT)
Based on NFPA 101—2012, Doors shall be inspected and tested annually.
TSIG Consulting, a Division of the Greeley Company. has developed a software application for the IPad to simplify, speed-up and provide instant response of the survey. The application “Door Inspection Tool” (DIT) is available as a Software as a Service (SaaS) Model.
Door Inspection Requirements
- 22.214.171.124 Inspection of Door Openings.
- 126.96.36.199.1* Where required by Chapters 11 through 43, the following door assemblies shall be inspected and tested not less than annually in accordance with 188.8.131.52.2 through 184.108.40.206.8:
- (1) Door leaves equipped with panic hardware or fire exit hardware in accordance with 220.127.116.11
- (2) Door assemblies in exit enclosures
- (3) Electrically controlled egress doors
- (4) Door assemblies with special locking arrangements subject to 18.104.22.168
FYI. The applicable chapters are 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 32, 33, 34, and 35
- 22.214.171.124.2 Fire-rated door assemblies shall be inspected and tested in accordance with NFPA 80, Standard for Fire Doors and Other Opening Protectives. Smoke door assemblies shall be inspected and tested in accordance with NFPA 105, Standard for Smoke Door Assemblies and Other Opening Protectives.
- 126.96.36.199.3 The inspection and testing interval for fire-rated and nonrated door assemblies shall be permitted to exceed 12 months under a written performance-based program in accordance with 5.2.2 of NFPA 80, Standard for Fire Doors and Other Opening Protectives.
- 188.8.131.52.4 A written record of the inspections and testing shall be signed and kept for inspection by the authority having jurisdiction.
- 184.108.40.206.5 Functional testing of door assemblies shall be performed by individuals who can demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the operating components of the type of door being subjected to testing.
- 220.127.116.11.6 Door assemblies shall be visually inspected from both sides of the opening to assess the overall condition of the assembly.
- 18.104.22.168.7 As a minimum, the following items shall be verified:
- (1) Floor space on both sides of the openings is clear of obstructions, and door leaves open fully and close freely.
- (2) Forces required to set door leaves in motion and move to the fully open position do not exceed the requirements in 22.214.171.124.5.
- (3) Latching and locking devices comply with 126.96.36.199.
- (4) Releasing hardware devices are installed in accordance with 188.8.131.52.10.1.
- (5) Door leaves of paired openings are installed in accordance with 184.108.40.206.11.
- (6) Door closers are adjusted properly to control the closing speed of door leaves in accordance with accessibility requirements.
- (7) Projection of door leaves into the path of egress does not exceed the encroachment permitted by 220.127.116.11.3.
- (8) Powered door openings operate in accordance with 18.104.22.168.
- (9) Signage required by 22.214.171.124.1(3), 126.96.36.199.5, 188.8.131.52, and 184.108.40.206 is intact and legible. (10) Door openings with special locking arrangements function in accordance with 220.127.116.11
- (11) Security devices that impede egress are not installed on openings, as required by 18.104.22.168.12.